Coming soon: We are introducing a fresh new look for record drawer and details pages on September 30, 2020. This article describes the current experience. Preview the upcoming improvements in your account now so you can get familiar with the new way of working in Aha!
The Aha! Azure DevOps integration gives you insight into the progress of your releases once you send them over to your engineering team. Typically, though, there is another level of detail. The engineering team breaks out the release-level iteration into child sprints in Azure DevOps and assigns features (or epics) to them.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- Create a custom sprint field
- Sync sprints with mapped fields
- Associate existing features with Azure DevOps sprints
- Pull new features and sprints into Aha!
Create custom sprint field
To do this, you will need two things. First, create an integration with Azure DevOps. This is a workspace-level integration, so you will need to be an owner of your product or workspace to create or edit the integration.
Second, you will need to create a custom field to map to the Azure DevOps sprint field. You will need to be an administrator with customization privileges to create a new custom field and add it to a feature layout, though owners can apply a custom layout that includes the new custom field to features in their workspace.
Note: We recommend selecting an Editable choice list as your custom field, since that will allow the integration to choose from a list of existing choices or create a new one if necessary.
Sync sprints with mapped fields
Once you have a custom field created, and that field has been applied to the feature or epic layout that your workspace uses, you are ready to map it to an Azure DevOps field. You will need to have your Aha! releases mapped to an Azure DevOps iteration, so that features in those releases can display the Azure DevOps sprint from a child iteration level.
- Navigate to Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Integrations and click on the Azure DevOps integration you wish to use.
- Click to the Mappings step.
- Map Releases to Iteration.
- Under Features, click Field mapping.
- On the left, select your custom field.
- On the right, select the Iteration level where you have sprints in your Azure DevOps environment. Usually, this is Iteration Level 3.
- In the middle, you will notice that the sync arrows are now set to one-way, from Azure DevOps to Aha!
- Click Save and continue.
Associate existing features with Azure DevOps sprints
If you have existing features in releases in Aha!, you can use your mapped fields to display the sprint from Azure DevOps. This can happen automatically if you have enabled Automatic sending and Automatic import in the Enable step of your Azure DevOps integration, but let's walk through it manually to show you the functionality.
- Open the detail drawer for a feature.
- Under Integrations, click Send, then select your Azure DevOps integration.
- The feature will flow from Aha! to Azure DevOps, where it will be created as a task, epic, or feature, depending on how you configured the integration.
In Azure DevOps:
- Open the new item.
- Change the item's iteration path to include a child sprint.
- Click Save.
- The task is now associated with the Azure DevOps sprint, and back in Aha!, you will see your sprint custom field populated with the name of the Azure DevOps sprint.
Pull new features and sprints into Aha!
If you need to import new features from a sprint in Azure DevOps, the integration will also sync those features with their parent release.
In Azure DevOps:
- Create a task.
- Assign it to a given sprint.
- When Aha! next imports data, Aha! will recognize that the feature is part of a child sprint in an existing release.