Coming soon: We are introducing a fresh new look for record drawer and details pages on September 30, 2020. This article describes the current experience. Preview the upcoming improvements in your account now so you can get familiar with the new way of working in Aha!
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- Comment user permissions
- Add a comment
- Add an emoji reaction
- Add attachments
- Add comments to image and mockup previews
- Add comments directly to text
- Manage comment notifications
- Inline comments and integrations
Comment user permissions
To interact with the comments section on a record type, you must have the following user permissions.
|View inline comments that @mention them specifically||X||X||X||X||X|
|Add emoji reactions||X||X||X||X|
|Create or resolve inline comments||X||X||X||X|
|Add a public comment to an idea||X||X||X|
|Edit another user's comment||X|
*Administrators with account permissions
Add a comment
To add the first comment on a record, click the icon located in the Comments section of almost any record in the Aha! data model.
To add a comment to an existing thread, begin writing your comment in the text box at the bottom of the thread.
Customize your message using the tools located in the toolbar. To learn more about editing text using the toolbar, check out our support article on the Aha! text editor.
Comments can be edited and deleted. To edit a comment, hover over the comment until the text box is highlighted. Click the text box to begin editing the comment. To delete a comment, click the Delete link in the comment header.
Note: To directly reach out to a fellow Aha! user in a comment, you can type the @ key followed by the user’s name. This will send a notification to the user with your comment. You can also link to an Aha! record by typing the # key followed by the first few characters of the record.
Add an emoji reaction
Emoji reactions are used for a more visual and fun collaboration experience that encourages lightweight feedback.
To add an emoji reaction, click the Add emoji icon on a comment and choose an emoji. If another user has already added an emoji that you agree with, click the emoji to increase the reaction count. To see the names of users who reacted, hover over an emoji.
For example, you might add a trophy or a checkered flag to celebrate a new feature. Show gratitude for your team with a thumbs up or raised hands emoji. Or just add a simple smile emoji to indicate that you acknowledge and appreciate a comment from one of your colleagues.
To add an attachment to your comment, click the Attach files link and select the file you wish to attach. You can choose files on your local machine or select from one of our file storage integration options (Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive for Business).
Click Create mockup to add a customized mockup to your comments. For more on mockups, check out our support article.
Tip: You can promote a comment attachment to be a feature or requirement attachment by clicking the star icon that appears in the upper-left corner of the attachment thumbnail image.
Add comments to image and mockup previews
Aha! helps you collaborate on images and mockups with the ability to comment on specific locations within image attachments (PNG, JPG, and GIF file types) and on mockup previews that are created within your records. Users can reply to these comments, keeping the conversations organized around specific points on the image.
To comment on an image or mockup preview:
- Open an attachment or mockup preview and click the View and add comments icon located on the top of the image preview modal.
- Click anywhere on the attachment or mockup preview to start a conversation — clicking on the image will add a numbered orange dot to the location of your comment. Add your first comment to start a conversation and click Save comment.
Note: When comments are added to Aha! mockups, the comments will remain on the attachment as changes are made to the mockup.
- When the reason for your conversation has been addressed and/or sufficiently discussed, click the Resolve button located on the header of the conversation. When you resolve a conversation, the color of the numbered dot changes from orange to green. Comments are still accessible after a conversation has been resolved.
Note: The count that appears on the View or add comments icon and the attachment preview icon indicates the number of unresolved conversations on your attachment.
Add comments directly to text
The most effective way to leave feedback on text? Comment inline and start a conversation thread. Much like the ability to add comments to image and mockup previews, you can use inline comments to focus the conversation.
Note: You can inline comment on any text in a note, custom note field, the cell of a table, or any text in a record's description field. You cannot inline comment text in comments, or a record's create modal.
To add an inline comment, highlight the text you want to comment on and click the Add comment + icon that appears on the right side of the text editor. Your text will be highlighted and underlined in orange, the Comments sidebar will appear, and you can start creating your comment. Click Save comment once you are done.
Click Resolve to resolve your comment. Resolved comments disappear from the list of comments unless you choose to show them by checking the Show resolved checkbox. (You can hide them again by unchecking that box.) If you choose to show resolved comments, text highlighted and underlined in green will indicate a resolved comment, and you will see a collapsed list of resolved comments in the Comments sidebar. If you reply to a resolved comment, it will become unresolved again.
Through the More options button, you can also Copy or Delete your comment.
Manage comment notifications
Comment notifications work a little differently depending on what type of comment you leave. For comments that are not inline comments:
- When you add a comment, you are automatically added as a subscriber to the comment thread and a watcher on the record. As a subscriber, you will be notified of any comments that are made on the thread. To add or remove yourself as a subscriber, you can click the Subscribe / Unsubscribe button in the bottom corner of the comment thread. You can also add or remove yourself as a watcher. Notifications for subscribers can be further customized at Settings ⚙️> Personal > Notification preferences.
- When you @ mention someone in a comment, the user you mention in the comment will receive a notification and become a subscriber on the comment thread.
- If an administrator edits someone’s comment, notifications will be sent to users watching the record or subscribed to the comment stream.
- When you add an emoji reaction to a comment, no notification is sent. Emoji reactions are also not logged in the history of a record.
Inline comment notifications work just like notifications throughout Aha! do — if a user creates, is @ mentioned, or interacts with an inline comment thread, they are notified about changes to that comment thread. If a user is a watcher on the record where comments are taking place, then they are notified about all changes to comments on that record.
Inline comments and integrations
Inline comments and integrations work a little differently since the integrated tool usually does not have the UI to display inline text comments. Instead, Aha! sends a link to the inline text comment to the integration. Users clicking that link will be taken back to Aha! to the comment.
Note: You can send links to inline text comments from Aha! to any tool with a 2.0 integration. Please see this article if you are still using a 1.0 integration and would like to convert it to a 2.0 version.