Custom layouts in Aha! help you define the fields that you want your teammates to see at two important times: when they create a record and when they view the details of a record.
With custom layouts, you can ensure that the correct data is captured at the time of record creation using a create record layout. You can also choose how data is represented in the record details using a record detail custom field layout.
To create and edit custom layouts, you need to be an Aha! administrator with customization permissions. To choose which layouts to use for a workspace in your account, you will need owner permissions.
Note: This article refers to releases and features. Depending on your workspace type, you may see "schedules" and “activities" in your workspace.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- Create a custom layout
- Customize a create record layout
- Customize the record detail custom field layout
- Apply custom layouts to your workspace
- Idea layouts
Create a custom layout
To add a custom layout:
- Navigate to Settings ⚙️ > Account > Customizations > Custom layouts. The Configure custom layouts menu will open.
- Select the record type that you would like to customize. For new layouts, click Add custom layout to open the Create custom layout modal. To adjust an existing layout, hover over an existing custom layout to Clone, Edit, or Delete it.
- Name your custom layout in the Name field. Note that there are two tabs on this modal. We will discuss these separately in the next sections.
Note: Features and epics are separate record types that are independently configured.
Customize a create record layout
The first tab in the Create record custom layout modal allows you to create, rearrange, and/or edit the form that a user sees when they create a record. For example, when you click the Add feature button, the fields that appear on the form are defined in the create features custom layout.
On the left side of the modal, you can see all the fields that can be added to the create record layout. On the right side of the modal, you can see all the fields (and the order of those fields) that will appear on the create record form when this layout is applied to a workspace.
Within each layout, there are three classifications of fields that may appear on the layout:
- Some fields cannot be removed from or reordered in the layout. They will be greyed out and your cursor will change to a no icon when you hover over them. For example, every feature needs to have a name before it can be created, and that Name field needs to be in a specific order on the layout.
- Some fields can be reordered but not removed from the form layout. Your cursor will change to a vertical arrows icon when you hover over them.
- Some fields can be removed from or reordered in the layout. Your cursor will change to an arrows icon when you hover over them. For example, a standard field like Description or a custom field like Internal kickoff date can be added to any place in the layout.
Click Reset to default at any time to return the create record layout to the default fields.
Enable the Required checkbox to make a field required on the create record layout. This ensures that any user creating a record with the form will complete the field(s) that you require. Fields that are not required will be marked as (optional) when creating a record. It is important to note that required fields are only required on the create form. Aha! does not enforce these requirements for records that are created from integrations, CSV import, the Aha! mobile app, or the Aha! REST API. Additionally, after the record is created, data can be removed or edited on the record details.
Customize the record detail custom field layout
The second tab in the Create record custom layout modal allows you to create, rearrange, or edit the custom fields that a user sees when they click to open the details of a record after it has been created.
On the left side of the modal, you can see all the custom fields that can be added to the layout. On the right side of the modal, you can see all the custom fields (and the order of those fields) that will appear on the record details when this layout is applied to a workspace.
Drag custom fields from the Available fields list to the Visible fields list to add them to the layout. Within the Visible fields section, drag the fields to order them based on your preference.
Apply custom layouts to your workspace
To apply a custom layout to your workspace, navigate to Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Configure > Custom layouts, then select the layout you want to use for a particular record type. This will assign both the create record layout and the record detail custom field layout for that record type.
It is important to note that a record will only display the custom fields that are defined in the detail custom field layout of the workspace where the record resides. For example, you could create a feature in Workspace A and then move it to a release for Workspace B, which uses a different layout. For the same data to be visible in Workspace B, the layout for Workspace B must include the same custom fields that were defined in Workspace A.
Finally, a note about ideas. There are several different record layouts that relate to ideas:
- The Ideas layout controls how ideas look when they are created from within your Aha! account. This form gives you the option to include fields that you might not want available to an external audience.
- The Ideas form layout controls how ideas look when they are created from an ideas portal.
- The Ideas portal layout controls how created ideas look on an ideas portal.
- The Ideas proxy votes layout controls how proxy votes look when added from within your Aha! account. This form gives you the option to include fields that you might not want available to an external audience.
- The Ideas portal proxy votes layout controls how proxy votes look when added from an ideas portal.