Coming soon: We are introducing a fresh new look for record drawer and details pages on September 30, 2020. This article describes the current experience. Preview the upcoming improvements in your account now so you can get familiar with the new way of working in Aha!
Note: You can also import your Trello data directly into Aha! through the Trello import.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- Configure mappings
- Enable the integration
- Test the integration
|Required user permissions:
|Required user permissions:
|Associated record types||
Before configuring any integration for the first time, it is important to fully understand how to think about integrating Aha! with your development tool.
To set up an integration with Trello, you need to be an owner in Aha! for the workspace you wish to integrate. You will also need to have a Trello account that has proper access to create/edit records in Trello for the board you plan to integrate with.
- Navigate to Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Integrations and click the + on the left side navigation bar. Select Trello from the integrations 2.0 grouping.
- This will launch the integration configuration wizard. The first step is to name your integration and optionally select a template if you have already created one. Click Save and continue.
- Next, you will authenticate with Trello. After you click the Authenticate button, you will be taken to Trello to log in and grant Aha! access.
Back in Aha!
- After authenticating, you will be prompted to choose a Trello board. You will be able to select from any of the boards that the authenticated Trello user has access to.
- Next, you will be able to choose which list on the selected board new features get created in when they are sent from Aha! to Trello, and whether they should be added to the top or bottom of the list.
- Next, you will configure how Aha! records are mapped to your Trello records. Initially, the mappings will be already set based on a standard configuration. However, you can also remove the default record mappings and add your own custom record mappings.
- Click Field mapping to customize the field mappings for each record mapping. This is an advanced option within the configuration that allows you to customize how each field within the record is mapped between Aha! and Trello — as well as what relationship links exist for those records.
The relationship links are important to consider because they establish the ability for records created in your development system to be automatically imported into Aha! in certain use cases.
- While not every user will need to customize their field mapping, you do need to define the way Aha! statuses are mapped to Trello lists. Within the field mapping section for each Aha! record, there is a row for Status with a ⚙️ icon at the far right. Click the ⚙️ icon to open up the status mapping window. Matching values are automatically mapped initially, and then you can manually rearrange statuses to your preferred mappings as needed. Values may map one-to-one or one-to-many.
- When mapping statuses, you will be presented with your Aha! status workflow for the record type on the left and your Trello lists on the right. You can drag and drop the statuses to create groupings and mappings.
Enable the integration
With your records, field mappings, and statuses all set, you can click Save and continue to move onto the last step in the workflow. The Enable step allows you to specify how updates from Aha! are sent to your development system.
The default setting is: Automatically send outgoing changes, which means that any change made to an integrated record will send to Trello automatically.
We recommend the Approve outgoing changes setting for teams that are unfamiliar with how the integration works. The approval step allows teams that are new to the integration to validate what is being sent to their development system, which can help prevent unintentional changes from going through.
Test the integration
Congratulations! You're ready to test your new integration. To do this, send a feature to Trello by following these steps:
- Navigate to Features > Board.
- Click on a feature card, and select Send > Send to Trello in the Integrations section. A link to the Trello record should display in the Aha! feature after a few seconds. You can click on it to make sure that everything was sent to Trello correctly.
Note: You also have the ability of manually bulk sending a subset of features to Trello.