Many teams use a shared kanban board to improve visibility and increase the flow of work. A common board gets everyone on the same page to visualize resourcing, evaluate project statuses, and manage collaborative work.
In Aha!, this is called a workflow board. You can create one for the following record types:
- Features / Activities
The Features workflow board has a few settings that the Initiatives workflow board does not, so we're going to focus there in this article.
Note: This article refers to releases and features. Depending on your workspace type, you may see "schedules" and “activities" in your workspace.
Click any of these links to skip ahead:
- Enable the workflow board
- Customize your workflow board
- Arrange your workflow board
- Change your workflow board view
Enable the workflow board
Workflow boards are available for every Aha! account. The initiatives workflow board is available in Strategy > Initiatives. Click the Workflow view icon to see it.
The workflow board for epics, features, and requirements needs to be enabled on a workspace-by-workspace basis. To do this, navigate to Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Navigation. Check the box under Features for Workflow to enable the board for kanban or scrum work. You will need owner user permissions to see these settings.
Once enabled, you will see the new option under Features > Workflow. You now have an agile board to view the status of all of your epics, features, and requirements. The record type dropdown in the upper left allows you to switch between the different types of records.
Customize your workflow board
This kanban board is yours, so we have made it highly customizable. At the top of the workflow board, you will find a variety of settings and filters to help you make this board an insightful representation of your team's workflow.
Use the Record type dropdown to select whether you want Features, Epics, or Requirements to display on your workflow board.
Use the Card size buttons to toggle between Big or Small cards.
Customize the view of your workflow board by clicking the Customize view dropdown. From there:
- The Customize cards option will allow you to customize the layout for Features, Epics, or Requirements in either Expanded or Collapsed views. Drag the field(s) you want to include in the cards from the list on the left to the example card on the right. The changes you make here will affect the Features > Workflow page, but not the Features > Board page, so you can customize record cards differently for each page if you prefer.
- Use the Group by dropdown to control how you want to display cards on the workflow board. Choose Assignee to group cards in swimlanes by individual team member or select None to group cards without swimlanes.
- Cards are displayed in status columns. The Statuses dropdown includes every status in the workflow for your record type. Select the statuses you want to show on your workflow board.
- If you have enabled capacity planning for individuals for your workspace, use the Capacity planning checkboxes to Show work estimated, remaining, or done. If you have checked any of those three boxes, you can also check the Show work per user box to display the same information for each user's row as well as each status's column.
- Work estimate: This is the sum of the work estimates within each column.
- Work remaining: This is the sum of the work estimates minus the work done (across all records in each column).
- Work done: This is the sum of the work that has been logged using the Log time button (across all records in each column).
- Show work per user: This setting shows capacity metrics to the right of the user’s name and is the sum of all epic, feature, or requirement estimates assigned to each user.
Click the Save view button on the right to save your view.
Arrange your workflow board
Just like most reports and boards in Aha!, you can use filters on your workflow board to focus on the exact users, workspaces, or releases that you want to analyze. Hover over the filters bar and click the Add filters + icon to add basic filters quickly, or click the Edit filters icon to add advanced filters to your board.
Records on the workflow board are ordered based on their respective rankings by default:
- Initiatives will be ordered based on the order defined on the Strategy > Initiatives page.
- If multiple releases are shown on the workflow board, records in earlier releases will appear first, and within a release group that is based on the record rank. If multiple workspaces are present, then the release date is still used and records will appear in release date order.
- Features and epics will be ordered based on the order defined on the Features > Board.
- Requirements will be ordered based on their order defined on a feature.
Click the Save view button on the right to save your filtered view.
You can also create a custom card order by dragging and dropping cards on your workflow board to a new order:
- Cards will retain their order relative to each other, even if you start with a filtered list, or switch your Group by settings.
- Everyone who can view your workflow board sees the same card order, so your changes will be reflected immediately. This way, everyone has a shared understanding of work prioritization.
Change your workflow board view
For many users, the workflow board is just one way to view the same data. Often you want to examine the work your team plans to complete in a list, visualize it in a workflow board, or present it in a roadmap.
Use the Change view type dropdown to switch between several common views while retaining any filters you have added.
Note: Filters you add yourself will transfer to a new view. Page filters — filters associated with the original view that cannot be removed — will not appear on the new view.
Your View type options for epics, features, and requirements are:
- Board: A view of all your features and epics across all your releases and parking lots.
- List: A prebuilt list report of your features and epics.
- Workflow: Your workflow board.
- Roadmap: The features roadmap is one of the most useful ways to visualize the progress of your features and epics.
Your View type options for initiatives are:
- Details: A list of all your initiatives, expanded to include their details.
- Chart: A grid to help you visualize and compare your initiatives to each other, based on metrics you select.
- Workflow: Your workflow board.
- Roadmap: The strategy roadmap is one of the most useful ways to visualize the progress of your epics and features.