Once you have defined your workspace hierarchy, we make it easy to bring your existing work into Aha! through several import options.
Note: This article refers to releases and features. Depending on your workspace type, you may see "schedules" and “activities" in your workspace.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
Import from a CSV
A CSV import is the most basic, flexible data import option. You will load your data into our import template, and then follow the prompts in Aha! to create or update records.
To start importing your information into Aha!, first navigate to the workspace you want to import into. (Importing is not available at a parent line level.) Then select Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Import from CSV. Follow the steps listed below. You must be an owner or administrator in Aha! to use the import functionality.
Select the type of information you would like to import
You can choose from the following record types:
- Releases / Schedules
- Features / Activities
- Idea portal users
Notes before you begin a CSV import
- When importing features, you may also import your requirements' names and descriptions, if applicable.
- When importing ideas or features, you may also import scorecard metrics. If you leave a metric blank, a score of zero will be imported for that metric. If you set a metric value above or below the metric's range, the import will error.
- If you are importing formatted text (such as a feature description or comments on an Aha! record), you will need to use HTML formatting, e.g. <br></br> for line breaks, <p></p> for paragraph breaks, or <strong></strong> for bold formatting.
- You may also update your Aha! data when importing.
- To import epics, you must have them enabled for the workspace you are importing to. Enabling epics requires owner user permissions and is done through Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Configure.
- Importing idea portal users requires an administrator with customization permissions.
- Importing users requires an administrator with billing permissions. Enterprise+ customers can also assign paid seat groups to users upon import. You also have the option to choose whether or not to send those users an email invitation to the Aha! account.
- If the total users being imported exceeds the account's available paid seats, every user will still be imported so that Aha! administrators can activate/deactivate the users as needed.
Select where you want to add the information
If you are importing new records, they will be associated with the record that is selected in this step:
- Ideas portal
If you are updating existing features, it is possible to update the features' release by including a column named Release in your CSV file. You can then use the Release ID or Release reference fields to specify the desired release you wish to move your features to when importing.
The Release column in your CSV should be mapped to the Release Aha! field in the final step of the import process.
Prepare your CSV file
Importing information into a new tool can be painful, so we have provided templates and guides to make this process as easy as possible. Click the What fields can I import? button and take a moment to review the supported fields for your workspace. We have also provided a template you can use by clicking Download template CSV.
Please be sure to convert any dates to YYYY-MM-DD format before importing.
Note: If you are importing fields that have values already configured in Aha!, you should ensure that the data in your CSV file will match. Otherwise, you will get an error on import. Examples of these fields are feature status fields, the Created_by field, or pre-defined custom fields.
Upload your CSV file
When you upload your CSV file, you will be prompted to map the Aha! fields to your fields. After you confirm the right column headings, click the Import button. The import will happen automatically; when it is complete, you will see a confirmation message with a link to the location of your newly created Aha! data. If there are any errors during the import, an error message will be displayed with instructions on how to correct the problem.
Troubleshooting common problems
The Import from CSV feature only supports files that have UTF-8 encoding. UTF-8 encoding supports all writing systems around the world, including special Asian- and European-language characters. However, there are some characters that are often found in exports from bug tracking systems that are not valid for UTF-8. In that case, you may see this error message during the import:
CSV file is invalid: invalid byte sequence in UTF-8.
The most common cause for this message is the existence of curly quotation marks and apostrophes — often with text that was created in MS Word or Outlook. There are two ways to convert your CSV file to UTF-8 encoding:
- If you are using Windows, you can get Excel to save in UTF-8 encoding. Visit this link for instructions.
- If you are using Excel on a Mac, you can save as MS-DOS Comma separated. This will convert to 7-bit ASCII, which is compatible with UTF-8.
Import records from your development tool
Our Jira, Rally, Azure DevOps Services, and Azure DevOps Server integrations import data directly from your development tool into any workspace in Aha! that has an active integration configured. And once imported and integrated, your records will be active on each platform, allowing updates to flow back and forth between Aha! and your preferred third-party tool.
To start the process, click your name in the top-right corner of Aha! and select Settings ⚙️ > Workspace. Please follow the instructions provided under each option when importing.
Import records from Trello
Trello is a great tool for teams that are starting to think about strategy — and our Trello integration allows you to move your data from your Trello cards and lists into Aha! and take advantage of more structured strategy, planning, and record fields and workflows.
- Log into your Trello account and generate an export file by selecting ... Show Menu,... More, Print and Export, Export as JSON and then save the file that is generated.
- Go to Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Import from Trello. Choose the workspace that the features will be added to and select the Trello file for import.
- The import process will confirm the number of Trello cards imported as features when the import is complete.
The following information can be imported from Trello to Aha!
- Each list in the Trello file will become a parking lot list with the same name.
- Each card becomes a feature.
- All tasks associated with a card become requirements.
- Labels are transferred as tags.
- Attachments are transferred as well.
The import will take place in the background and may take several minutes or longer depending on the amount of info that needs to be imported.
This article is part of a series we put together to help you get started in Aha! Click any of the links below to move on.