Coming soon: We are introducing a fresh new look for record drawer and details pages on September 30, 2020. This article describes the current experience. Preview the upcoming improvements in your account now so you can get familiar with the new way of working in Aha!
Aha! is a tool that helps teams set their strategy and link it to their planned work. Rally is a tool that helps you track projects and get work done. They pair perfectly. By integrating Aha! and Rally, you can link your work to your strategic vision, share context with development teams, and track your progress in roadmaps and reports.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- How to think about your integration
- Configure your Rally integration
- Test your integration
- Manage your integration
|Required user permissions:
|Required user permissions:
|Associated record types||
How to think about your integration
This support article refers to the 2.0 version of the Aha! Rally integration. For the 1.0 version, please reference this article.
Aha! provides a two-way integration with Rally that allows teams to send their planned work from Aha! to their development team working in Rally.
Before configuring any integration for the first time, it is important to fully understand how to think about integrating Aha! with your development tool. Aha! should come first in the process —build out or import your records in Aha!, then send them to Rally. You can customize the ways that fields map to each other between the two tools, and even customize whether you want integrated records to update automatically, or only after your review.
Configure your Rally integration
To set up an integration with Rally, you need to be a workspace owner in Aha! for the workspace you wish to integrate. You will also need to have a Rally account that has proper access to create/edit records in Rally for the project you plan to integrate with.
1. Navigate to Settings ⚙️ > Workspace and press Integrations + on the left side navigation bar. Select Rally from the Integrations 2.0 grouping.
2. This will launch the integration configuration wizard. The first step is to name your integration and optionally select a template if you have already created one. Click Save and continue.
3. On the Configure Account screen, add the URL you use to access your Rally account. This setting cannot be changed once you start using the integration.
4. Next, you will be prompted to Authorize your account. Aha! uses OAuth 2.0 for authentication, and if you are already logged into an active Rally session in your browser, you will not be prompted for credentials. If you are not currently logged into Rally, you will be prompted with a Rally authentication screen.
4. After authenticating, you will be prompted to Choose a Workspace. The list of workspaces is based on what your Rally user has available to them.
5. After selecting a workspace, you will be prompted to Choose which Project in Rally you wish to integrate with. Similar to the workspace selection, the list presents the projects that you have access to within the previously selected workspace.
6. Next comes record Mappings. This step allows you to configure how Aha! records are mapped to your Rally records. The default mappings are based on what is most widely used by our customers. However, you are free to remove the default mappings and add your own to map records together based on what makes sense for your team and how you work.
7. Within record mappings, you have the option to also specify your field mappings. This is an advanced option within the configuration that allows you to customize how each field within the record is mapped between Aha! and Rally — as well as what relationship links exist for those records.
Note: If you have configured required fields in Rally, we recommend setting the Required flag on those fields in the custom layout associated to your product. This will ensure that any required fields are populated when records are created on the Aha! record creation form.
The relationship links are important to understand because they establish the ability for records created in your development system to be automatically imported into Aha! in certain use cases.
8. While not every user will need to customize their field mapping, you do need to define the way statuses are mapped. Within the field mapping section for each Aha! record, there is a line for Status with a ⚙️ icon at the far right. Click the ⚙️ icon to open up the status mapping window. Matching values are automatically mapped initially, and then you can manually rearrange statuses to your preferred mappings as needed. Values may map one-to-one or one-to-many.
9. When mapping statuses, you will be presented with your Aha! status workflow for the record type on the left and your integrated system status workflow on the right. You can drag and drop the statuses to create groupings and mappings. In the above screenshot, you can see that multiple statuses have been grouped together where the Rally statuses of Measuring and Developing are mapped to the single Aha! status of In development.
10. With your records, optional field mappings, and statuses defined, you can click Save and continue to move onto the last step in the workflow. The Enable step allows you to specify how updates from Aha! are sent to your development system, and how you would like Aha! to import updates from your development system. The default settings are: Automatically send outgoing changes and Automatically import new records, which means that any change made to an integrated record will send to Rally automatically.
We recommend the Approve outgoing changes and Automatically import new records settings for teams that are unfamiliar with how the integration works. The approval step allows teams that are new to the integration to validate what is being sent to and received from their development system, which can help prevent unintentional changes from traveling between the two systems.
Test your integration
Congratulations! You're ready to test your new integration. To do this, send a feature to Rally by following these steps:
- Navigate to Features > Board.
- Open one of your features in Aha! and use the Send dropdown and select Send to Rally.
You should see a link to the created Rally record appear on the Aha! feature after a few seconds. This will let you easily click into Rally to verify that everything was sent through correctly.
Note: You also have the ability of manually bulk sending a subset of features to Rally.
Manage your integration
If you have multiple Rally integrations that you need to manage, use the Manage integrations report, located in Settings ⚙️> Workspace > Integrations.
If you run into difficulties with your Rally integration, you can find answers to common problems in the Rally section of the knowledge base.