From meeting agendas to marketing guidelines, strategic planning often requires notes. Notes in Aha! are flexible and collaborative — use them to define team processes, train new members, document an overview of your workspace, or any other use that comes to mind.
You can nest notes into collapsible hierarchies, collaboratively edit them with your teammates, and add them to presentations — notes might look simple, but they provide a powerful way to capture and share information. You can even create personal notes for your own use.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- Enable the notes page
- Create a blank note
- Create a note from a template
- Create a personal note
- Comment directly on notes
- Organize your notes
- Move notes to another workspace
- Reference notes across Aha!
- Link notes to other records across Aha!
- View note history
- Share and export your notes
Enable the notes page
You can access the notes for your workspace by navigating to Info > Notes. If you do not see that option, you may need to enable it by customizing your menu navigation. If you are an owner or administrator for your workspace, you can navigate to Settings ⚙️ > Workspace > Navigation or by clicking the pencil icon you see in your navigation bar when you hover over it.
From the Navigation page, check the box by Notes and click Update to enable notes for your workspace.
Create a blank note
- Navigate to Info > Notes and click Add note > Blank or use the appropriate keyboard shortcut.
- A blank note will appear.
Create a note from a template
Notes templates bring consistent structure to your documentation. Aha! comes with six pre-built templates for you to choose from.
- Navigate to Info > Notes and click Add note > From a template or use the appropriate keyboard shortcut.
- The Add template modal will appear. Select the template of your choice.
- Click Add template. Your template will appear.
You can select one of the following prebuilt note templates:
- Meeting agenda
- Meeting notes
- Brainstorming session
- Customer interview
- Sprint retrospective
- Process improvement
Create a personal note
Some notes should be personal. Maybe you have a great idea for a new strategic opportunity and want to jot down some unfiltered thoughts. You might be drafting a presentation and want to work on the outline before you share it with your team. Or maybe you just need to write down the minutes of a meeting.
You can find a notes section just for you on your My work page. To get to them, hover over your profile picture in the navigation bar and click on My work. On the left side, beneath the My work section, you will see a section called My notes. Aha! users with any permission level can use personal notes.
Personal notes are only visible to you. They use the Aha! text editor, just like workspace notes, and you can #mention other records if you need to. But of course, because personal notes are only visible to you, records you #mention will not link back to your personal note and you cannot @mention other users.
If you have a personal note that you would like to share with others, you can either share it or move it:
- Click the Share icon in the upper-right corner of a note to Add it to an Aha! presentation. From a presentation, you can adjust your note's update frequency.
- Click the Share icon to Export your note to PNG image or PDF document.
- Click the More options menu in the upper-right corner of a note to Copy or Move it from your personal notes out to a workspace's Info > Notes page. Once you move a note, other users with access to that workspace can see it and collaborate with you.
• Moving a parent note will move all child notes nested under it.
• Moving a personal note will change its URL from one with the designation PERSONAL, e.g. PERSONAL-N-150, to one with the designation of the workspace you are moving it to, e.g. FRED-N-110.
- From the More options button, you can also choose to Hide nested notes. If hidden, any nested notes will not appear in parent note previews of note collections and standalone notes.
To move a workspace note to your personal notes, click the More options button, then click Move note. From there, click Move to personal notes.
Comment directly on notes
In addition to collaborative editing, notes in Aha! support inline text comments. Inline comments allow you to highlight the exact part of the note you want to discuss, then create conversation threads to focus on and resolve the issue.
To create a new inline comment, highlight the text you want to comment on and click the Add comment + icon that appears on the right side of the text editor. Your text will be highlighted and underlined in orange, the Comments sidebar will appear, and you can start creating your comment. Click Save comment once you are done.
Resolved comments will be highlighted and underlined in green and you can always reply to a resolved comment to reopen it.
Organize your notes
Once you have created a few notes, it makes sense to organize them. Bringing structure to your notes is as easy as clicking and dragging them in the left side panel of the notes page.
- To re-order a note, click on it and drag it to your preferred order. If you drag a parent note, all nested child notes under it will come with it.
Note: You can drag parent notes to new locations whether they are expanded or collapsed, but it might be easier visually to do this while they are collapsed.
- To nest one note under another, click on it and drag it on top of another note.
- To remove a note from a parent-child relationship, click on it and drag it to a new location.
When you drag a note to a new location, the blue bars in Aha! will show you where it will land in the notes order.
- A thin blue bar means your note will exist above or below another note in the order.
- A thick blue bar means that your note will become a nested child note of another note in the order.
Note collections and standalone notes
Organizing your notes into nested hierarchies is just the first step. As you build out the workspace and personal notes in your account, your notes hierarchy can become quite complex.
Instead of scrolling through a hierarchy expanding every parent note, click on a parent note to see a preview of all its child notes.
- Note collections — child notes with sub-notes of their own — display here as tiles. Each collection includes the first three lines of the note's description, the top three child notes, and a total note count.
- Standalone notes — child notes without sub-notes of their own — are listed at the bottom.
You can control what notes appear in these views by clicking on a parent note, then clicking More options > Hide nested notes.
Customized title icons
Every note you create has a title icon. By default, this is a page icon for standalone notes, and a folder icon for parent notes. You can change these title icons to emojis to help your notes and note collections stand out.
To do this, open a note and click its title icon. Click or search for any replacement emoji you prefer, and the title icon will update.
Move notes to another workspace
Sometimes notes are created under one workspace but then you want to move them to another workspace. You can use the More options button on notes to move them. If you move the note at the top of a hierarchy tree, all child notes move as well.
Note: You can also move a workspace note to a personal note. Instead of choosing Move to workspace from the Move note menu, select Move to personal notes.
Reference notes across Aha!
You can use #mentions in any text field in Aha! to create a link to a note. On the record you want to link to the note, type the # key and then start typing the note's title. Select your note from the available options.
Link notes to other records across Aha!
Workspace notes can be added as related records to other data objects. To add a related record to a note, click on the More options button in the upper-right of the note and select Link to another record. Once linked, a new Record links section will display at the bottom of the note. This will reference the related data records, allowing you to quickly visualize the relationships.
View note history
Every note created automatically tracks the history of edits that have taken place. You can revert back to previous versions of a note by clicking the History icon in the text editor and then moving the slider to the time frame you want to revert to.
Share and export your notes
With your note completed, you can easily share it with your stakeholders by selecting one of the export options under the Share menu on the top right of the screen.
- To fold your note into a presentation, select Add to presentation. In your presentation, you can select the note's update frequency.
- To share your note as a webpage, select Share as webpage.
Note: Since personal notes are personal to you, you can only share workspace notes as webpages.
- For a static version of your note, export it to PNG image or PDF document.